Thursday, January 8, 2009

Optical advice and Stockholm delights

In order to see properly, I've been having to squint quite a lot recently. This has caused me great concern, so to prevent any further encouragement of facial wrinkles I decided to finally go for an eye test before Christmas. I did indeed require a stronger prescription and this morning went to pick up my new glasses and have the nice optician check my contact lenses too.

My optician is always professional if a little too aloof for my liking. I remember last year, he made me make another appointment because I was 10 minutes late (stupid traffic). That said it was probably best since I had a cold and didn't particularly fancy being cooped up in a room spreading my germs if he had been nice enough to see me anyway.

Anyhow, he really came out of his shell when I somehow mentioned I was training for the marathon. He had done it the year before and his sister the year before that. He even described a route I could do around Clapham Common and told me that they only hand out 'orange' Lucozade Sport on marathon day so that's what I should be training with.

I told him some of the delights served up when I ran the Stockholm Marathon in 2007...
  • chopped bananas
  • granola bars
  • chocolate covered cereal bars
  • marshmallows
  • jelly babies - although they had all been eaten by the time I got to that stand :(
  • energy tablets
  • and gherkins!
All washed down with:
  • sports drink that tasted like medicine
  • coffee
  • and broth!
What a feast!

No comments:

Post a Comment