Sunday, January 18, 2009

Les Witton Dartford 10: 1 hour 40 minutes

Driving down the A205 / A2 I couldn't stop smiling, it brought back fond memories from last summer when I was driving with Claire, Clare and Tracy on our way to France for a chilled out girlie holiday at Lucy's place in Genouilly - one of the most relaxing breaks I'd had in a long while.

Woke: 7.10 AM
Snooze: once, well I did wake to the sound of rain and wind, hmmm...
Up: 7.21 AM
Fuel: big bowl of porridge and orange Lucozade Sports
Out: 8.10 AM
Route: around Dartford...
Distance: 10 miles
Weather: the weather man got it wrong again! The weather was perfect for a long run, sun shining, clear blue skies. The only thing I'd say is that it was little windy throughout which made it cold when we were waiting at the start and wandering back to the car after crossing the finish line!

The drive to Dartford was straightforward, the roads were clear and parking was a doddle. It was a very organised race I have to say. The facilites were impressive too. No queues for the toilet and I picked up my number without any hassles. All the marshalls were friendly and helpful which made the day even nicer really.

Met Ade and Matt dropping off their bags. We posed for a few souvenir photo's and then headed to the start line!

Ade happily poses while Matt bares his number

Taking photos with an iPhone is tricky business...

At the start line...
Mile 1: got over taken by lots of runners, young, old, light and heavy...

Mile 2: it was about time I over took someone! A bloke wearing an orange running jacket! [1]

Overheard a conversation between 2 blokes, let's call them Bill and Bob
Bill: She's my assistants best friend
Bill: She's really fit
Bill: She's 24... too young?
Bob: well, you're 28


Mile 3: I've noted that I seem to have a similar pace to a bloke listening to his iPod and wearing a black running hat with a grey rim. We've been taking turns in overtaking each other, let's call him Graham [2]

Mile 4: Graham over took me... pah, but then I over took a lady in a shocking green t-shirt - take that! [3]

Mile 5: over took a bloke in red t-shirt and mp3 player tied around his waist [4]

Mile 6:
ran under some pylons and could hear them buzzing away. A little further and I saw a lady in a yellow coat cheering a runner on with a rattle, let's call her Barbara

Mile 7:
felt quite light on my feet, it was as thought I was gliding on autopilot for about half a mile, the water stop probably had something to do with that...

Mile 8:
Overtook 2 blokes and Graham for the final time [6]!

Mile 9:
Barbara had made her way to mile 9 with her rattle! She recognised me and cheered me on too - ahhh! Over took a guy in a white track suit and a golden hooped earring in his left lobe [7]

Mile 10: Ade and Matt cheered me to the finishing line where I over took an 8th person - yay!


Finishers medal!

Refuel: a nice big and perfectly ripe banana washed down with a SuperBerry ForGoodnessShake from the goody bag
Back: 12.20 PM, not bad for one morning! I was going to have an afternoon nap but I just couldn't fall asleep
Alcoholic beverages not consumed:
glass of red with dinner
What next: 3 miles on Tuesday morning
Notes:
  • I should probably go back to my roots and invest in a [lime green Kappa] track suit for after my runs... it did get quite nippy and Ade had to lend me his jacket while we walked back to the car
  • I hope Mary's free to give me a sports massage tomorrow...
  • Looking forward to Neill's roast beef dinner this evening!

1 comment:

  1. Can you program your alarm to use wind and rain sounds to wake you up?! Where did you guy this??

    ReplyDelete