Saturday, January 17, 2009

I am the one and only!

A lie in on the weekend? I don't think so...

Route: Phil got Gillian a new book, for Christmas, on walks which can easily be done from London in a day. This weekend we opted for Walk 45 - Princes Risborough to Great Missenden.

Weather: the weather men got it wrong again and what a blessing it was for us. The sun shining, skies clear we headed out to the Chilterns on the 9.18 AM train from Marylebone. Whilst getting my cup of tea for the journey I noticed some marks on my right sleeve. My sister borrowed my walking jacket and it seems left me a trail of snotty presents - how nice.

Getting off at Princes Risborough and breathing in the fresh air, all I could think of was - I love it! I love it! I love it! I take the countryside over the beach any day. I couldn't wait to get walking!

Distance: the walk was 9 miles and we crossed fields and woods with different levels of muddy-ness.
Andy thought he could bring his motor bike walking

What storms?

Strike a pose, a perfectly titled Lane


Had enough, Gillian and Phil decide to bus it - nice bus stop...

Gillian carefully plans her way through the mud

Waiting for their turn

Steep climb

Fuel: Lunch was had at The Gate in Bryants Bottom, apparently a haven for Chesney Hawkes spotting.
Lunch at Chesney's local

Walkers have right of way

We got to the end of the walk and headed to Roald Dahls Cafe Twit for a cup of tea and scrumtiously named cakes. It was full of parents and kids and not a spare chair or table in sight so we decided to head to the train station and home.

Roald Dahl's Twit Cafe and museum. Too busy for us to sit down and eat cake.

Refuel: I enjoyed an early evening power nap when I got back and then Kim and I called on Paul and the boys to go for dinner at The Plough - I had a pretty good appetite and managed to eat more than Seamus and not leave any leftovers for Paul to enjoy - sorry about that.

Treat: since I just had orange juice with lunch, I treated myself to a pimms and hot apple juice with dinner

Alcoholic beverages not drunk: half a bitter shandy (lunch), half a strawberry fruli beer (after dinner)

What next:
I left the rest in the pub and headed home for an early night, ready for an early start tomorrow, fingers crossed the weather men get it wrong again...


No comments:

Post a Comment